Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Is this Guy Serious?



Retiring Gil Meche puts a price tag on his pride: It's $12 million

No matter who you are or how much you think of your integrity and principles, it has to be hard for anyone to walk away from a guaranteed $12 million for a year of work.
Yet that's exactly what Kansas City Royals pitcher Gil Meche(notes) is doing as he's decided to retire from baseball with one year and $12 million remaining on the five-year, $55 million contract that shocked the baseball world after the 2006 season.
Rather than try to junkball his way out of the bullpen through the final year, Meche thinks it's a fairer choice for everyone if he takes the right arm that former manager Trey Hillman treated with reckless abandon and calls it a career with an 84-83 record and a ERA+ of 99 (for the uninitiated, 100 is league average).
All at the relatively young age of 32, too.
Here's part of Meche's statement that was released on Tuesday morning:
"As a competitor my entire life this is the hardest decision that I've ever faced, but it's not fair to me, my family or the Kansas City Royals that I attempt to pitch anymore. I came into this game as a starting pitcher and unfortunately my health, more accurately, my shoulder, has deteriorated to the point where surgery would be the only option and at this stage of my life I would prefer to call it a career rather than to attempt to pitch in relief for the final year of my contract."
Considering that Meche has already banked more than $50 million in his career, there's no doubt that the cynics are yawning and saying "big deal."
But how often do we complain about an athlete picking up a paycheck when he's not earning it?
And how easy would it have been for Meche to trot himself out to spring training, go on the disabled list a short while later and spend one more year cashing pay stubs bigger than what some Americans make in a lifetime?


When did the MLB become so righteous? First Vernon Wells comes out and says what every fucking other person in the world ready knew, that he stinks and isn’t worth a jillion dollars a year, and now this fucking schmuck Gil Meche is retiring because he stinks and doesn’t want to sit in the bullpen, giving up $12 million guaranteed? Am I missing something? Because first things first, no matter how fucking bad you are, being a major league anything is infinitely better than any other fucking job you could possible imagine. And the fact that you get to sit in the fucking bullpen, joke around all day, hit on bitches in the stands, mess with your bullpen coach, and collect fucking $70k after each game, ummmmmm that sounds pretty fucking amazing. I don’t care if I go out there and throw fucking BP and let 5 back to back homeruns go out of the park then get booed off the mound and go sit back down with a big fucking smile on my face, like take it deep fans, I’m going out to some fucking great steak dinner, drink my face off, and take the waitress home.. what are you doing??? God I would give anything to be in the MLB, NFL, NHL, or NBA, I would even take being a soccer pussy in the MLS, because those dudes get paid and laid.

P.S. Blah Fucking Blah about, well he already made $50 Million …so fucking what, do you know what you could do with $12 million, a fucking lot that’s what. Just spend the year throwing massive fucking parties if you don’t want the money or hey give me some fucking money dude, I could pay some college loans.

P.SS Fuck... this story makes me sooo mad, just giving up millions because you’re a sad little pussy.

No comments:

Post a Comment